Ris Adams is an experienced, driven, and passionate software developer and coach.
For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Ris
I have been developing software since 1996 and have been developing for the web professionally since 2004.
You can reach me on Mastodon: at @firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am also a maintainer and contributor to many open-source projects, like Selectize!
For the past 17 years, I have been building expertise in web tech, data modeling, and advanced research into human-computer interaction. In addition, I have recently begun to coach and mentor beginning and mid-career developers.
- I solve problems.
- I am a highly experienced, driven, and passionate developer with skills in software engineering, agile project/product management, and team management.
- I believe in lifelong learning, the value of embracing challenges, and taking ownership.
- I am interested in Agile practices, DevOps, and continuous improvement.
In January 2020, two major life events happened that made me begin to re-evaluate my life choices.
- I became a father to a beautiful son who happens to have multiple medical issues.
- Covid-19 struck the world senseless. I began to see things differently and realized real growth needs to happen from within.
I searched for answers in books, blogs, speakers, and other places and realized that the best way to improve my career was to share my experience with others. So I revived my blog and began coaching and mentoring.
Then the best thing started happening: I became more focused, more productive, and more involved. I was becoming a fundamental controller of my life for the first time.
Everyone is asking if this will also work for them; Yes! It is never too late to start helping others grow. My goal is to help others take control of their careers and learn how to shape the direction of their lives in a way that makes them happy.
How you can help me
I learn best via doing. I prefer written materials for reference, but I also enjoy watchhing high-quality videos.
I get exicted about new ideas, projects, and challenges. I iterate fast, but may need your help to iterate deliberatly and stay on target.
I prefer the how over the why.
My greatest strengths are curiosity and endurance.
There is a subtlety and art to madness.
What I assume about others
I assume positive intent in all interactions.
I assume that you will ask for my help when needed.
I tend to assume we share similar ideals and priorities. You can help remind me what is important to you so that I can do the same.
Your work is not the most important thing in your life.
- I assume that relationships and personal interests are more important to your happiness and self-worth.
- It isn’t easy to be successful at your job when work distracts and detracts from those things.
Everyone is fighting battles that I know nothing about.
What I want to earn
- I want your trust and respect.
- I want your psychological safety. I want you to be comfortable with me, to be able to be vulnerable with me and to be able to share when I could be doing something better.
- I want to be able to share my life journey with you and to know yours. I want to establish communities and relationships that will flourish and evolve.
My Working style
I have strong opinions, that are weakly held. This means that I prefer to adapt and grow. My working style will change over time
I prefer to embrace asynchronous workflows, and prefer a semi-flexible daily routine.
- I believe that the best ideas happen when you have the flexibility to change your routine and are not tethered to a specific schedule.
I am a team player
I believe in expressing gratitude and respect.
I am a good listener, and think before I speak
- This may lead to pauses in my speaking
- If anything I say is unclear, please feel free to interject, and I will do my best to clarify
- If I have strong arguments, I will try to make them clear, but I am typically flexible and accept team consensus when reasonable.
I respect others time and wish to have my time respected as well
- Please do not take offense to periods of silence; I prefer long uninterrupted periods of focused work–this allows me to focus on one specific task at a time. I promise that when I can focus on your needs, they will also receive 100% of my attention.
Communicating with me
I am typically a morning person and my best work is completed before noon. My favorite coffee is a vanilla or hazelnut latte.
I take pride in being present and punctual so that I won’t miss things on afternoons, but action items may need to wait until the following day.
I follow my calendar to a fault, so if something doesn’t exist on my calendar, I am likely to miss it. I promise to be diligent in documenting appointments and calendar worthy information
My Prefered method of communication is email or Slack, but I am also open to other methods.