Eight Dimensions of burnout
Everyone experiences burnout at least once during their career. what many people don’t realize is that it can be felt in many forms1, and manifest in different ways.
- Mental: My mind cannot process any more; it’s fried.
- Physical: My body is revolting; I have depleted my life force.
- Emotional: These heavy or anxious emotions are exhausting me.
- Compassion: I cannot hold any more loving space for anyone else; I’m tapped.
- Passion: I love what I do, but I’ve given too much and pushed too hard.
- Relational: I’ve been over-giving to others, my organization or my community/family, and I am over it.
- Survival: I’m exhausted from trying to make ends meet and stay afloat.
- Superhero: The weight of taking on so much is too much; I can’t hold it all anymore.
The ugly truths
It is rare that burnout occurs on only one of these dimensions at a time, and it can be extraordinarily stressful, but understanding what to look for can help determine the next steps to relief.