Eight Dimensions of burnout
- Mental: My mind cannot process any more; it’s fried.
- Physical: My body is revolting; I have depleted my life force.
- Emotional: These heavy or anxious emotions are exhausting me.
- Compassion: I cannot hold any more loving space for anyone else; I’m tapped.
- Passion: I love what I do, but I’ve given too much and pushed too hard.
- Relational: I’ve been over-giving to others, my organization or my community/family, and I am over it.
- Survival: I’m exhausted from trying to make ends meet and stay afloat.
- Superhero: The weight of taking on so much is too much; I can’t hold it all anymore.
The ugly truths
It is rare that burnout occurs on only one of these dimensions at a time, and it can be extraordinarily stressful, but understanding what to look for can help determine the next steps to relief.